ST. SPYRIDON CHURCH
Saint Spyridon was born during the 4th century in Askeia, Cyprus. He was married, had a daughter, Irene and was working as a shepherd. When his wife died, he decided to dedicate his life to God and was chosen to become the bishop of Trimythous. He was known for his devotion to God, his love for the people, his simplicity and his humility. The locals have deep faith in Saint Spyridon, who is considered the keeper of Corfu. According to legends, he has saved the island four times from the Ottoman invasion, one of the reasons that this church is the most important religious monument of Corfu.
Spyridon, or else Spyros, is a very common name on the island and the locals actually refer to their saint protector when they want to swear on their word of honor about something. The church of Saint Spyridon was initially built in Sarocco square, Corfu Town. However, in 1590 it was erected in its present location. The architecture of the church is typical of the Venetian architecture that dominates all over the Old Town of Corfu.Its bell tower is the highest spot of the town and this is the first thing that you see as the ferry approaches the island.
Corfu Paleokastritsa Monastery
The monastery of the Virgin Mary in Paleokastritsa was built in 1228 and together with the Achillion Palace are some of Corfu’s major attractions.
It is a classic example of Greek monastic architecture. On a green hill above the beach of Paleokastritsa, on the northwestern side of Corfu, there is a large Monastery complex dedicated to Panagia (Virgin Mary) of Paleokastritsa.
This Byzantine Monastery dates back to 1228, however the current complex, the cells of the monks and the yard date from the 18th century. Inside the monastery, there works a traditional olive oil press.
The road to the monastery passes through a forest of olive trees and cypresses.
Corfu Saint Jason and Sosipater church
The church of Saint Jason and Sosipater is situated between Garitsa neighborhood and Mon Repos.
The church is not visible at first sight, as it is surrounded by tall houses. Founded in the 11th Century, this is Corfu’s oldest church and an excellent example of Byzantine architecture.
However, it distinguishes for its architecture and special style. Made of stone and marble, this church has large wooden doors and a tall bell tower.
Corfu Pantokrator Monastery
The Monastery of Pantokrator is located on top of the highest mountain of the island, on the northern side of Corfu.
Access is done through a truck road but the incredible view rewards visitors.
Corfu Platytera Monastery
The Platytera monastery is one of the greatest religious monuments found in the island. It is located between San Rocco and Mandouki districts in the beginning of Paleokastritsas national road.
When the monastery was founded, the whole area around it took its name. The Monastery of Platytera distinguishes for its tall bell tower.
There is a nice patio and a garden around the church, while in the basement there are the graves of two important Greek personalities: Ioannis Kapodistrias, the first governor of modern Greek State who originated from Corfu, and Fotos Tzavellas, a famous hero of the Greek Revolution.
In the interior of the church, there are rare Byzantine icons and interesting frescoes.
Corfu Holy Trinity Anglican Church
Holy Trinity Corfu is the island’s international church. If you are resident in Corfu or a visitor and would like to worship in an English-speaking church you will find a warm welcome here.
The church was established in 1864 to serve the needs of the vast British populace on the island that time. The bombings of the World War II caused damages to the building but it was restored and reopened in 1971. The interior decoration is austere and the walls are painted in blue and white tones. Nowadays, the Anglican church has a very active role in the local community, as it frequently organizes craft groups, bible studies, meetings of the pilgrimages and public conversations.
The bombings of the World War II caused damages to the building but it was restored and reopened in 1971. The interior decoration is austere and the walls are painted in blue and white tones.
Church St. George (Old Fortress)
The Church of St. George built in 1840 , in the Old Fortress , to meet the religious needs of the British soldiers who served in Corfu the period of English Protection ( 1814-1864 ) .
The church of St. George is considered one of the largest in size of the city and belongs to the three-aisled basilica with a loft . The architecture and construction of the church was based on drawings of an English officer, engineer, Antony Emmet and evokes ancient Doric temple.
On the outside of six Doric columns supporting a triangular capstone . Internally, the form has changed because of the damage suffered during the Second World War .